On the streets of Hong Kong, protesters say 'thanks' to Donald Trump

HONG KONG: Hundreds of people in Hong Kong , including many elderly residents, marched to the US consulate. UU. on Sunday to show gratitude for US support. UU. to the anti-government protests that have shaken the financial center for almost six months.

Waving American flags, with some on Donald Trump With hats and T-shirts with the logo, the protesters displayed a banner representing the president of the United States standing astride a tank with a flag of the United States behind him.

Another banner read President Trump, please free Hong Kong.

Trump signed a congressional legislative law this week that supported protesters in the city ruled by China, despite Beijing's annoying objections.

Thank you President Trump for your big gift to Hong Kong and God bless America, shouted a speaker holding a microphone as he addressed a crowd at the start of the march.

Earlier on Sunday, hundreds of protesters, including many families with children, marched in protest against the use of tear gas by the police.

Carrying yellow balloons and waving banners that read No tear gas, save our children, the protesters streamed through the city's central business district towards government headquarters on the main Hong Kong island.

There has been relative calm in Hong Kong for the past week but activists have pledged to maintain the momentum of the movement with three marches planned for Sunday. All have been approved by authorities.

Anti-government protests have shaken the former British colony since June, sometimes forcing government offices, businesses, schools and even the international airport to close.

We want the police to stop using tear gas, said a woman named Wong, who marched with her husband and five-year-old son.

It is not a good way to solve the problem. The government needs to listen to the people. It's ridiculous.

Police have fired around 10,000 rounds of tear gas since June, city security secretary John Lee said this week.

More protests

Sunday's marches came as a top Hong Kong official said the government was looking into setting up an independent committee to review the handling of the crisis, in which demonstrations have become increasingly violent.

The protesters in Hong Kong are angry at what they see as Chinese meddling in the freedoms promised to the former British colony when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

China denies having interfered and says it is committed to the formula of a country, two systems established at that time and has blamed foreign forces for fomenting the riots.

On Saturday, high school students and retirees joined together to protest what they called police brutality and illegal arrests.

While Saturday's demonstrations were mostly peaceful, public broadcaster RTHK reported that police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters after a vigil outside Prince Edward subway station. Some residents believe that some protesters were killed by police there three months ago. The police have denied that account.

More protests are planned during the week and a big test of support for the anti-government campaign is expected on December 8 with a concentration planned by Civil Human Rights Front, the group that organized marches of millions of people in June.

Another march is scheduled for Sunday in the popular commercial district of Tsim Sha Tsui.

That march is scheduled to end in Hung Hom, a district near the ruined campus of.

The campus became a battlefield in mid-November when protesters locked themselves up and faced riot police in violent clashes of gasoline bombs, water cannons and tear gas.

About 1,100 people were arrested last week, some while trying to escape.

On Friday, police withdrew from the university after collecting evidence and disposing of dangerous items, including thousands of gasoline bombs, arrows and chemicals that had been scattered around the site.