Isis claims the London knife attack

LONDON: The Islamic State terrorist group claimed responsibility for London where a convicted terrorist killed two people before being shot dead by police.

The group through its Amaq propaganda news agency said on Saturday that the attack was carried out by an Islamic State fighter, according to him, who monitors jihadist activities.

"The person who carried out the London attack... was a fighter from the Islamic State, and did so in response to calls to target citizens of coalition countries," the IS statement read.

However, he did not provide any evidence to support his claim.

The attacker, identified as Usman Khan, was a convicted terrorist who was jailed seven years ago over a plot to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a on land owned by his family in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

Khan had also discussed organizing a Mumbai-style attack in the UK Parliament and described by the judge who sentenced him for terrorism offences in 2012 as an ongoing risk to the public with a "serious, long term venture in terrorism ".

He was enraged on Friday and killed a man and a woman and wounded three others before the armed policemen shot him.

"This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack," Scotland Yard's head of counter terrorism policing assistant commissioner, Neil Basu said on Saturday.

Khan's profile dating back to his conviction in 2012 reveals his links with terrorist groups. He had been secretly recorded talking about plans to recruit radicals from the United Kingdom to train in a camp in Kashmir (PoK) occupied by Pakistan, the region from which his family comes.

He and two other co-conspirators had conducted a surveillance trip around central London as they talked about launching a Mumbai-style attack on UK Parliament. The then-20-year-old pleaded guilty to engaging in conduct for the preparation of terrorism , which included travelling to and attending operational meetings, fundraising for terrorist training, preparing to travel abroad and assisting others in travelling abroad.

Originally, Khan had received an indeterminate sentence that would be kept behind bars for public protection, but the United Kingdom Court of Appeal annulled it in April 2013, after which he was imposed a 16-year prison term and He ordered at least eight years in prison. prison before being considered for probation.

He had been released under license, or probation, in December of last year and was reportedly being monitored by an electronic tag.

The UK Interior Secretary, who recently revealed plans for more severe convictions for violent criminals, said police needed space and time to complete the investigation and it was not right to speculate.

We are supporting the police in this difficult investigation. I think it is fair to say that we are all shocked and saddened, said the minister.

The metropolitan police said Khan attended a conference on prisoner rehabilitation organised by the University of Cambridge associated Learning Together organisation at Fishmongers' Hall in London Bridge earlier on Friday afternoon.

It is believed that he participated in the morning session, participating in several workshops, in which he described his experiences as a prisoner, before suffering a fuss and threatening to blow up the building when they called the police.

It was later learned that Khan had been wearing a suicide bomb vest after he was overwhelmed by members of the public before being shot by police gunmen.

comments