Lee Chong Wei lacks world championships
KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Star Lee Chong Wei The World Championships In August Will Miss After Falling From The Rankings After A Long-Term Absence Due To Cancer, An Officer Said Wednesday.
It Means The Malaysian Former World Number One Loses The Chance To Win The World Title For The First Time And Deals Another Blow To His Fading Hopes Of Competing In The Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Michelle Chai, General Manager Of The Badminton Association Of Malaysia (BAM), Said Lee - Currently Ranked 113 In The World - Wouldn't Play In The Championships In Switzerland From August 19-25.
" Lee Chong We Won't Take Part In The World Championship As He Currently Does Not Qualify On Merit," She Said.
A Country Can Send Up To Two Players In The World Top 150 And There Are Currently Two Malaysians Above Lee - Lee Zii Jia Liew Daren .
BAM president Norza Zakaria confirmed the body would endorse players based on rankings released at the end of April .
"As we know, Chong Wei is not part of the list and he is still working on his fitness," he was quoted as saying by The Star newspaper .
" The Priority For Chong Now Is For Him To Recover From His Ailments, So Let's Focus On That First."
The triple Olympic silver medallist has been out since July last year when he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer .
The 36-year-old endured a tough treatment programme in Taiwan but opted not to retire and resumed training in January .
He Skipped The All England Open In March And The Malaysia Open In April - Both Tournaments Where He Hoped To Make A Comeback - And Will Miss This Month Sudirman Cup mixed-team event in China .