Open markets for longer hours, public transport back on the roads of Srinagar

SRINAGAR: signs of normalcy were visible in Srinagar As most modes have begun to navigate, while markets in some places remained open for more hours, officials said Thursday.

The intra-district connectivity in Srinagar has been restored as cabs have started plying in several areas of the city, the officials said.

There are also reports of movement of taxis within the district and other modes of public transport in most of the other Valle district offices.

With this, most of the modes of public transport have begun to navigate in the valley, especially in the city here, since taxis between districts, auto-rickshaws and few minibuses were already sailing.

Private transport circulated unhindered in the city here and in other parts of the Valley with several areas that witnessed traffic jams.

Officials said that stores in some areas, including at the Lal Chowk shopping center, have begun to remain open for more hours during the day.

However, the stores open only for a few hours in the morning in the downtown (old town) areas, they added.

The markets throughout the valley had been following a new operating pattern, opening early in the morning until around noon and then closing to join the protest against the repeal of the special state of the state.

Officials said the malefactors and militants were using fear to stifle any resistance to the unannounced closure by threatened merchants and businessmen.

Officials said two grenade attacks in the city's busy Goni Khan market and Kaka Sarai areas recently and the murder of a merchant in the Tral area of ​​Pulwama district in southern Kashmir on Wednesday were an indication that there were concerted efforts to maintain the closure.

The efforts of the state government to open schools have not paid off, as parents continued to keep children at home due to safety concerns.

However, board exams for class 10 and class 12 continue according to the schedule.

Internet services on all platforms continued to be suspended in Kashmir for 102nd day on Thursday.

The authorities took all the communication lines (fixed telephony and mobile telephony and Internet services on all platforms) on August 5, hours before the Center announced its decision to repeal and fork the old state in two territories of the Union .

While landlines were gradually restored, postpaid mobile services resumed later. However, prepaid mobile phone and Internet services have not yet resumed.

Most of the separatist politicians of the upper and second level have been placed in preventive custody, while the main leaders, including two former chief ministers, Omar Abdullah & Mehbooba Mufti - have been arrested or placed under house arrest.

The government has detained former chief minister & sitting Lok Sabha MP from Srinagar Farooq Abdullah under the controversial .