UP police officers torture a man in thana to death when his 10-year-old son sits outside

MEERUT: A 35-year-old security guard died after being tortured by police officers at a police station in the Pilkhua area on Sunday night. Three police officers, including the SHO of the Pilkhua police station, have been suspended. However, Pradeep Tomar's family, who alleged that he was tortured for more than five hours after being called for questioning, has demanded that the police be charged with murder.

Pradeep had been summoned to Chijarsi outpost to be interrogated in a murder case. His 10-year-old son, who accompanied him to the outpost, says he was arrested and brutally tortured during the interrogation. At least 8-10 police were constantly beating my father. He was also stabbed with a screwdriver. All this time, they also consumed alcohol and denied water to my father who was writhing in pain, he said.

The same can be corroborated with a viral video allegedly of the locals and relatives of the victims 'examining' their body. In the video, you can see people pointing to injury marks on their body. In addition to blackening in the area of ​​the lower hip and hands hinting at brutal torture, there are also several visible stab marks. After his condition worsened, the police quickly took him to a local hospital in Hapur and then to a higher center where he succumbed to the torture he was inflicted, says the family.

In response to the accusations, the additional general director (Meerut area) Prashant Kumar said: Based on the family's accusations, three police officers have been suspended. Postmortem by a panel of doctors is being carried out in Meerut to determine the cause of death after necessary measures will be taken. The three police officers who have been suspended are Yogesh Baliyan, SHO Pilakhua; Ajab singh, sub-inspector and agent Manish Kumar.

Pradeep's family also claims that the cops pressured him to appear in the outpost by first arresting his younger brother, Kuldeep Tomar, and his wife. He was told that his brother was involved in an accident. When Pradeep, along with his 10-year-old son Rahul, appeared in the outpost, he was arrested and brutally tortured during the interrogation, they say.

According to Hapur police, Pradeep, who used to work as security personnel in a private factory in Ghaziabad, was arrested for questioning since he was suspected of being in contact with defendants in a murder case. On August 30, a woman's charred body was recovered. The woman was later identified as Preeti, a resident of Jarcha in Noida and a relative of Pradeep. Preeti was allegedly killed by an Arun, who is also a relative of Pradeep. It was not directly related to the murder, but it could have been part of the conspiracy, said Hapur ASP Sarvesh Mishra.

Meanwhile, family members and other locals have begun an indefinite strike at the commissioner's office in Meerut, demanding FIR under the murder section against the accused police. Even if the defendant was a criminal, how can such brutality be justified? This is a cold-blooded murder and the accused police should be punished for what they did, said a family relative.

A strong police officer had been deployed in the commissioner's office in anticipation of any unfortunate incident when the crowd began to increase towards Monday night. The agitated family of the deceased has affirmed that they will continue the indefinite strike until their demand for murder by accused police officers is fulfilled. Pradeep is survived by his wife Rajni and two children.

On video: