I'm not sure I learned anything: Laver asks for the Kyrgios ban

Sydney, September 5 (AFP) The great tennis player Rod Laver has asked that Nick Kyrgios be suspended from the ATP Tour for bad behavior, saying that his Australian partner seems not to be learning from his mistakes.

The explosive and temperamental Kyrgios, 24, has a history of notorious explosions and is being investigated for possible rule violations after calling the corrupt ATP Tour during the US Open last week.

Although he later withdrew from the comment, he followed a record fine of $ 113,000 issued by the ATP for his actions at the Cincinnati Masters in August.

During that collapse, he broke two rackets and described a referee as a tool, with his sanction that included fines for ball abuse, leaving the court without permission, an audible obscenity and unsportsmanlike conduct. Kyrgios was warned that he could also face the suspension of the sport once a full investigation had been carried out.

Laver, an 11-time Grand Slam champion who is considered one of the best players in the sport, said time outside tennis could be the answer.

Whatever they have done has not worked so far, so maybe a suspension is the only answer, he told The Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday.

I am not sure I have learned anything from the things that have happened.

The talented Kyrgios, who will play at an event named after Laver, the Laver Cup, in Geneva later this month, has been controversial for much of his career.

In 2015, he was fined for making a sexually derogatory comment in Canada about the girlfriend of the three-time main winner, Stan Wawrinka.

The following year, he was suspended for eight weeks after being accused of not trying at the Shanghai Masters.

Nick is Nick, unfortunately, Laver said. It could have been, or could even become, a world champion because of its serviceability, its game. But his brain gets in the way. He does not want to adhere to the conditions or the referee. (AFP) APA APA

comments