We're going backwards, says Lukaku after racist abuse in Cagliari
Belgium and Inter de Milan striker Romelu Lukaku appealed to soccer federations and social media platforms on Monday to do more to fight racism after being subjected to racist abuse on Sunday 2-1 A series victory in Cagliari .
The former Manchester United striker appeared to be the target of monkey chants from the home crowd at the Sardegna Arena -- the same venue where former Juventus forward Moise Kean was also abused -- as he prepared to take the decisive penalty.
Several black players have suffered racist abuse online in recent weeks, including Paul Pogba of United and Tammy Abraham and Kurt Zouma of Chelsea.
Lukaku lamented the lack of action despite years of complaints.
Many players in the last month have suffered racial abuse. I also did it yesterday, Lukaku said on Instagram. Football is a game to enjoy and we must not accept any form of discrimination that may embarrass our game.
I hope that football federations around the world react strongly to all cases of discrimination.
Social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter , Facebook) should also work better with football clubs because every day you see at least one racist comment below a post of a person of color. We have been saying it for years and have not yet taken any action.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is 2019, instead of moving forward, we step back ... As players, we must unify and make a statement on this matter to keep this game clean and enjoyable for everyone.
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard also asked social media companies to register their users so they can be held responsible for racist abuse online.
Twitter said last month that it would meet with United and the anti-discrimination group Kick It Out to address online racist abuse towards players in Britain.
Last season, a number of Premier League players backed a Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) campaign to boycott social media for 24 hours in a stand against racism .