Smith's decision to miss the third ash test is obvious: Langer

LONDON: Australia's star hitter Steve Smith has been discarded from the third ash test starting on Thursday after suffering a concussion, a decision that the coach Justin Langer said it was obvious.

Smith, 30, who has scored two centuries and 92 in his three innings in the first two Tests, was knocked down by a Jofra Archer gorilla on Saturday in the first innings of the second test in Of the lord .

Smith's absence will be a blow to Australia, which has a 1-0 lead in the five test series and for whom the victory at Headingley would ensure that they kept the ashes.

His other hitters have not been convincing: the experienced starter, David Warner, added only 18 in his four innings, with Smith as a lynching pin.

When we followed the protocols, it was probably a couple of days off to be selected, Langer said at a press conference.

It was really obvious. He felt a little better yesterday, but he won't have enough time to mark everything he has to do.

Langer, who replaced Darren Lehmann as coach when the latter resigned after the ball manipulation scandal that broke out on the South African tour in 2018, said losing Smith was as big a blow as England losing Jimmy Anderson in the first test. .

It is no different than England losing James Anderson. You could say he is your best bowler and we will possibly lose our best hitter for this test match, Langer said.

It is always a hit. No doubt about that. When you get your best players it always has an impact.

We have to make sure that our older and younger players take a step forward and fill in what are almost impossible shoes because he is the best player in the world.

Team doctor Richard Saw had the last word on whether Smith played or not and was seen talking to him during team training on Tuesday.

According to the Cricket Australia website vice-captain Pat Cummins patted Smith on the shoulder and coach Justin Langer wrapped his arm round the former captain as the rest of the squad trained without him.

Smith, who has reached number two in the batting world rankings, was photographed with his head in his hands and Langer staring grimly at the ground.

Smith, whose two centuries in the first Test were instrumental in Australia taking a 1-0 lead, hit again on Saturday despite the blow to the side of the head that knocked him down. He added 12 runs before being out.

However, he could not play on the fifth and last day of Sunday when he woke up feeling stunned. Australia clung to the test with its surrogate Marnus Labuschagne concussion playing a key entry.

The Ashes series is the first to be played under the new substitute regulations for concussion of the International Cricket Council, as part of the inaugural World Test Championship.

The regulations allow players who have suffered head or neck injuries to be replaced by a substitute, who was previously restricted to playing alone.

During Saturday's play, Smith wore a helmet without the extra protection for the neck of the stem protection introduced after the death of his former Australian teammate Phillip Hughes, who was hit by a goalkeeper in a Sheffield Shield match in Sydney in 2014.

Australia, which offered for its first victory of the Ashes campaign on English soil in 18 years, led the series thanks to a 251 race victory at Edgbaston fifteen days ago.

In that game, Smith scored his first Test since completing a 12-month ban for his role in a ball manipulation scandal in South Africa with magnificent tickets of 144 and 142.

Smith has two weeks to be ready for the fourth test in Manchester, which begins on September 4, with a three-day game in Derby from August 29 to 31.

comments