2020 Dublin Marathon suspended by coronavirus: organizers

DUBLIN: Dublin this year marathon was canceled on Tuesday, despite Ireland's move to lift coronavirus blocking measures, which indicate a possible long-term interruption caused by the outbreak.

The race was due to take place on October 25. By that date, Ireland plans to have fully removed the restrictions in a tiered process that started on Monday.

But organizers said the race, which had 22,500 participants last year, would not yet take place due to security fears.

We made the difficult decision for the health and well-being of everyone involved in making our events so successful, from runners, supporters, volunteers, sponsors to providers, said the race director. Jim Aughney .

Brief notices

Explore the writings

We explored many alternatives to safely run events, but ultimately none were feasible, it said in a statement.

Ireland's roadmap to reopen the nation has scheduled the last of five stages to lift coronavirus lockdown measures for August.

A government ban on mass gatherings of more than 5,000 people will also expire later that month.

The decision to ban the marathon indicates the fallout of coronavirus may last longer than suggested by official plans and could hit other scheduled -- or rescheduled -- events.

The London Marathon, for example, was postponed to October 4. Last year, just under 43,000 runners started the race, with tens of thousands of spectators en route.

Ireland has suffered 1,547 deaths from COVID-19 , according to the health department.

On Monday, the number of daily deaths dropped from a high of 77 to just four.

We have suppressed the virus and limited its impact on public health, chief medical officer Tony Holohan said Monday.

We need to maintain this in the coming weeks and phases.

comments