Villarreal and Getafe deny match fixing

Spanish soccer clubs Villarreal and Getafe They have denied wrongdoing after national media reported Friday that police are investigating a possible match-fixing in a 2-2 draw between the two clubs. the league last year.

" Villarreal and its first team wish to show their absolute rejection of the accusations made today and categorically deny being involved in any way in fixing the game against Getafe on the final day of last season," said a club statement.

"As it has done on repeated occasions, the club condemns any conduct that damages the essence of sport and competition and stresses that the values of transparency, ethics, integrity and fair play are fundamental to its philosophy."

Getafe also released a statement saying the club "wish to categorically deny any involvement with this matter and this type of conduct".

Brief notices

Explore the writings

Newspaper El Pais reported that the match was being looked at as part of Operation Oikos, which was launched last year and led to 11 people being arrested on suspicion of forming a match-fixing group to profit from betting on games.

the league confirmed it had opened a confidential dossier as part of Operation Oikos but added that details of the case would not be made public until it goes to trial.

The court based in the city of Huesca that El País said was investigating the case could not be reached for comment.

"Operation Oikos came about due to an accusation by the league , which has joined the case as a private plaintiff, and will take all legal measures necessary to clarify the facts that are under investigation," the league said in a statement.

Getafe had to beat Villarreal to stand a chance of qualifying for Europe's elite Champions League club competition before Valencia . Villarreal had nothing to play for.

Valencia 's 2-0 win at Real Valladolid on the same day, however, meant that in the event Getafe could not have qualified for the Champions League even if they had beaten Villarreal .

Five former Osasuna directors and two former Real Betis players were given jail sentences last month following an investigation into match-fixing in 2013 and 2014, the first ever convictions for sporting corruption in Spanish football.