Windies players will not be 'forced' to tour England: Johnny Grave

Cricket West Indies Executive Director Johnny Grave has said that players will not be forced to go to England for a series of three tests as the UK struggles to contain the COVID-19 pandemic .

The West Indies had originally been scheduled to play all three Trials in June, but the series has been delayed due to the novel. coronavirus outbreak.

More than 30,000 people died in the UK and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) last month decided to extend the suspension of professional play until July 1.

There will be no coerced players on this tour, Grave told the BBC.

Brief notices

Explore the writings

If you grow up in a country where the population could be 60,000 or 70,000 people, to think that the UK has had more than 30,000 deaths is a huge number.

The ECB hopes to host the Trial later this year, and Grave said that while there were reasons to be optimistic, security concerns had to come first.

We have to be absolutely clear that it is safe in the first place, he added. The ECB has a long way to go to get government approval to be absolutely sure that bio-safe cricket will work.

Players would be very much in a bubble. We told the ECB that we would like four weeks of preparation before the first test. We are probably seeing three consecutive test matches.

It would be seven weeks of a lot of training on the ground, staying on the ground and being very isolated within the environment of that hotel.

comments