Spanish league maintains plan to resume despite five positive tests
MADRID: The Spanish league is not changing its plan to resume competition after five club players in the first and second division tested positive for COVID-19 .
The league confirmed the positive tests on Sunday, but said it was not going to alter the practice protocol that started last week. Players from most clubs started the individual training sessions on Friday after almost two months of seclusion due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The league said it will continue to apply the return to training protocol that was approved by government authorities to ensure maximum safety for all club players, coaches and employees.
He said he has warned everyone to follow the health security measures suggested by the authorities so that the number of infected players remains very low.
The five players who tested positive for COVID-19 will remain sidelined until they fully recover. They are all without symptoms and recovering from the disease, according to the league. They will be allowed to resume practicing after testing negative in two consecutive tests.
All the other players tested negative, the league said. Players, coaches and club employees participating in training sessions are evaluated daily.
The league did not name the players who tested positive. He also did not disclose his clubs. The Spanish media said that three players were from first division clubs, including Atletico Madrid defender Renan Lodi.
On Saturday, Atlético published a message on the club's official social media channel with a photo of the Brazilian and the message: Renan Lodi greets from his home. We will see you very soon in the field, Renan!
He did not practice as the rest of Atlético's players resumed their activities on Saturday. None of the positive players reportedly played for Barcelona or Real Madrid .
Barcelona was among the first teams to resume practicing on Friday. Real Madrid is expected to be back in action on Monday.
This week, Spain began to relax some of the closure measures that had been in place since mid-March due to the pandemic, allowing soccer players to resume training individually at the teams' base camps.
The league said players who tested positive should remain in quarantine and continue training individually at home. The league said it will also offer testing to the players' families.
The league sent the clubs a detailed four-stage protocol for return to practice. Individual training will be followed by smaller group sessions and then full team sessions.
The league wants a total training period of about a month before it can restart. He recently said he hoped to resume sometime in June with games without fans.