Froome fears the Tour de France may fight to keep fans away

LONDON: Chris Froome fears Tour de France Organizers might have a hard time keeping fans from coming together to watch the race, even if it's not open to the public due to the coronavirus .

The Tour de France has been rescheduled for August 29 from its original June 27 start date, but there are still concerns about how to organise the event amid the pandemic.

The French government says no mass meetings can be held before September, but has clarified that the Tour could go ahead on its new dates if the initial stages are managed properly.

However, Team Ineos rider Froome, a four-time Tour de France winner, believes it will be hard to control whether crowds turn up.

Brief notices

Explore the writings

We can surely start the race without people standing on the roads and fans in that regard, Froome told the former England cricketer. Kevin Pietersen in an Instagram live chat.

I mean, we can participate in the race and it can be broadcast on television.

You won't get the same scenes you would go through these tunnels of people everywhere and everything in between.

Maybe that's the version of the race we need to see this year. I do not know.

Theoretically, we can start the race, but I think the most important question is whether the organizers could prevent people from going out and gathering in large crowds. I think that is the most important question.

Froome, 34, missed last year's Tour de France after suffering serious injuries in a crash.

He's been going to the gym every day for emergency shutdown to try to replicate what he would be doing at this time of year in preparation for the Tour.

Some days I'm even doing up to six hours sitting in the stationary trainer, great days, he said.

Obviously now I also come from a big injury.

"A lot of the training I've been doing up until this point has been indoors already, so it's almost prepared me in a way for this whole emergency shutdown period."

comments