FIFA requests Switzerland to continue Sepp Blatter investigation
GENEVA: FIFA has asked Switzerland 's Attorney General's Office (OAG) to maintain its investigation of the former president Sepp Blatter , football The world governing body said on Saturday.
French newspaper Le Monde and German newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung said earlier this month that the dishonored 84-year-old will not be prosecuted on a charge related to television rights sold to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU).
That was one of two criminal cases opened against Blatter in 2015 on suspicion of unfair management and breach of trust.
We have filed official submissions with the OAG arguing strongly that the investigation be continued, FIFA said.
Indeed, FIFA will consider all legal options to ensure that the relevant people are held to account, it added, confirming the media reports.
AFP on Wednesday obtained a police report showing suspicions of wrongdoing against Blatter over a controversial deal were well founded despite Swiss prosecutors dropping the case.
The deal had granted television rights for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups to the CFU, chaired at the time by Jack Warner. for $ 600,000 (536,000 euros), an amount that is considered significantly less than the market price.
Blatter acted more in Warner 's interests than those of FIFA, said one of the documents.
By failing to assert a claim by FIFA against the CFU when I've found out about it, Blatter accepted that Warner would therefore illegally enrich himself at the expense of FIFA, added the investigators.
As a result of the inaction of Blatter against the CFU or Warner, FIFA suffered damages amounting to $ 3.78 million.
Blatter, however, still faces a second criminal investigation into the controversial payment of two million Swiss francs (1.89 million euros) to Michel Platini, the former UEFA president, in February 2011.