Virus stock in Italy increases after reported non-hospital deaths

ROME: Death toll rose Saturday by highest number since April 21, though local news agencies attributed this to adding previously untold numbers deceased outside hospitals.

The 474 deaths reported by the civil protection service brought the total for the Mediterranean country from February to 28,710, second only to the United States.

But Italian media said the country only recorded 192 new deceased on Saturday.

Officials also included "282 non-hospital deceased that occurred in April but were only registered" Saturday, the La Repubblica daily said.

The ANSA news agency said the non-hospital deceased were reported by Milan's Lombardy region, where most of Italy's initial deceased occurred.

Italy's real death toll is believed to be substantially higher than the official figure because few deceased in care homes or in the community are reported.

Elderly in nursing homes are often not tested for the virus, and the number of people who have died of the disease at home is unknown.

Italy's overall trends two days before it begins to slow down on Monday was positive,

The 192 new deceased were the lowest since March 14, and the number of new virus infections stood at 1,900, about a third of the number at the peak of the crisis.

comments