Prominent Italian health official questions Series A quick restart

ROME: A prominent Italian health official says he does not see how Series A, which has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, could resume in the coming weeks.

Italian Football Federation ( FIGC ) head Gabriele Gravina He said Saturday that he hoped the teams could start training in May, provided the players tested negative for the new one. coronavirus - With the first games possibly reaching the end of that month.

Nevertheless, Giovanni Rezza , director of infectious diseases at the Italian National Institute of Health (ISS), disagreed.

If I had to give a technical report, it would not be favorable, he told reporters.

Brief notices

Explore the writings

Soccer is a contact sport with transmission risk.

They have proposed a close follow-up of the players with almost daily tests, although honestly for me that seems to be stretching things a bit. And we are almost in May.

Nevertheless, at the end of the day it was not his call, he said.

It will be the politicians who decide, Rezza added. It is a difficult decision to make due to the health implications.

Series A has been on hold since March 9, with players at various clubs testing positive for COVID-19, which has killed more than 113,000 people worldwide.

The FIGC said last week it had begun drawing up medical guidelines for a re-start of the championship. Its medical council is due to meet again on Wednesday.

comments