8 ways to add that summer pop to your home
April has begun, and we are all on an involuntary summer vacation if I can, trapped in our homes due to the COVID-19 lockdown. It is irritating and can be very boring because none of us are used to spending so much time in our homes. But let's try to look on the bright side, that is, what we can achieve by spending all this time at home. We've all been putting off home renovations and redecorations for years, claiming we'll do it when the time is right. Guess what? Now is the time, even if it doesn't seem right. Spend this time looking at the aspects of your home you want to change and researching ways to fix them. Bright colors, breezy interiors, and playful accents are all about. And summer is the best time and excuse to improve your home and change it.
Some tips and tricks to help you make your decisions!
1. Natural appeal: A simple paint job is a cost-effective method of changing the look of your interiors. Neutral colors and warm tones are the epitome of summer, and you can mix it with different patterns using paint stencils to add some pattern. Wallpapers are making a comeback too, so pick some natural prints like flower patterns and leafy structures. You can combine this with indoor flowers or plants to give an organic appeal that screams in the summer. Natural elements are the easiest way to give your home the perfect summer setting.
2. Color, color and more color! - Summer is about joy, and the easiest way to create a happy atmosphere at home is by adding a few bold shades. You can do this by adding pops of color with colorful accents, or choose flower arrangements in colorful vases. You can also consider giving your home a nautical vibe by adding some cool, calm blue shades in the form of collectibles. Add some color in a bigger look by painting a single wall a bright color like fuchsia pink or turquoise blue, and balance with neutral or interior curtains like your sofa and cushions. Yellow is another color that represents summer due to its warm hue, so opt for a yellow wall or yellow interiors mixed with houseplants.
3. Pick some cool summers: Your home redecoration doesn't necessarily have to be limited to just the pictures. Impart some tropical summer scents with the perfect scented candle, or you can even make your own! Summer is all about freshness and rejuvenation, so scents like lemon, cucumber, and ocean scents would create the perfect summer vibe and add to a relaxing atmosphere.
4. Are we going to change seats? Yes please! While spending time at home, good company and laughter would be the perfect day for summer. Make your home more welcoming by creating a seating area so attractive that your guests would never want to leave. You can do this by incorporating colorful floor cushions, which add a homey, yet fun, element to your space. The floor cushions would have to be combined with low tables, which would be the perfect space for a fun night of games.
5. Create the perfect bar: During a heat wave, all we need is fresh cocktails or fresh lemonade to calm our bodies and relax after a tiring day. When we think of summer, all that comes to mind are fruity cocktails and biting on some boobs, which deserve a special season on their own. Create the perfect makeshift bar, stocked with your favorite drinks and paired with fun items like colorful paper umbrellas and funky shakers.
6. Make way for light: To add summer vibes, you don't necessarily have to redecorate. Add a little light to your home by leaving the windows open, pulling back the curtains, and simply getting rid of shady and dark furniture. Add a few more mirrors for the light to reflect and give a feeling of openness. Clear, sheer curtains are enough to let light in, and they also keep mosquitoes out, which is an added bonus!
7. Add a touch of art: Look for simple, affordable colorful pieces throughout your home, adding a balance of texture and color on their own. You can also frame your vacation or family photos, which give a feeling of peace every time you look at it. Another option is to frame simple motivational quotes, which can easily lift your mood when you feel depressed. Art pieces can balance the color of a room when combined with darker walls. Again, summer is about color!
Contributions from Krsnaa Mehta, Founder and CEO, India Circus.