United States Open in Limbo as Golf Bodies Struggle with Virus Attack Schedule

LOS ANGELES: USA USA Golf Association executive Craig Annis admitted in comments to Golf week magazine it's increasingly likely that the United States Open will be postponed before the COVID-19 pandemic.

In an article posted online on Thursday, Golf week reported that USGA officials are holding off on an announcement about the major championship, scheduled for June 18-21 at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, New York, as golf governing bodies around the world scramble to come up with a modified schedule for a season up-ended by the virus.

"At this point we are not in a position to confirm any specific dates," Annis, the USGA's chief brand officer, told Golf week . "While we are hopeful that we will be able to conduct the United States Open at Winged Foot Golf Club in June, it is increasingly likely that we will need to postpone.

We have been working with our broadcast partner Fox Sports, the PGA Tour, and other golf organizations to determine what deferment date might be feasible if we needed to make that decision.

Brief notices

Explore the writings

We are currently considering a number of options and hope to be in a position to announce a decision next week.

April-1-NewApril-1-New

Golf week , citing three unnamed sources, described "weeks of daily conference calls" among golf's governing bodies working to put together a revamped schedule.

An apparently missing piece of the puzzle is a Royal&Ancient decision on the fate of the 149th Open Championship, scheduled for July 16-19 at Royal St. George's in Sandwich, England, and whether it will be postponed or canceled entirely.

R&A Chief Executive Martin Slumbers said Thursday that the organization was continuing to work on our options for The Open this year and that due to a variety of external factors, that process is taking time to resolve.

According to Golf week , a rescheduled British Open could conceivably take place in September, a week before the Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin.

If the R&A instead opts to cancel, that slot could see the United States Open held at Winged Foot, Golf week reported.

The Masters, which was due to start on April 9 at Augusta National, could be held in the week of November 9, Golf week reported citing two anonymous sources, and the PGA Championship -- postponed from May -- could be slotted in at Harding Park in San Francisco in August.

Of course, any proposed schedule will be subject to change or cancellation depending on when the competition can resume.

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases around the world soared past one million on Thursday and deaths topped 50,000 as Europe reeled from the pandemic and the United States reported the highest official daily death toll so far of any country.

comments