Fenerbahce says a player, a staff member sent to the hospital for coronavirus testing
ANKARA: Turkish soccer club Fenerbahce said on Wednesday that one of its players and a member of its medical staff had been sent to the hospital for coronavirus testing after showing symptoms during a team test.
Last week, Turkey became one of the last countries to suspend its sports leagues, making the decision after mounting pressure from clubs, players and coaches.
Turkey had also been under international pressure to postpone competitions after the vast majority of European soccer leagues, and others worldwide, closed.
The death toll from the outbreak in Turkey rose to 44 late on Tuesday, while the number of confirmed cases of the virus in Turkey rose from 343 to 1,872.
In a statement, Fenerbahce said his entire team had been screened for the virus on Wednesday.
Our player and the medical staff member were sent to the hospital for more tests and treatment, the club said.
Fenerbahce's statement comes two days after Fatih Terim, the coach of his rivals Galatasaray, said he had tested positive for the virus and was being treated at the hospital.
Besiktas, the third of the big three clubs in Turkey, said on Tuesday that none of its players or staff had tested positive for the virus after being examined after Terim's diagnosis.
Over the weekend, Fenerbahce said his basketball players and staff members showing symptoms of coronavirus were sent to the hospital for tests.