Omar Abdullah released after almost 8 months of detention

SRINAGAR: Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Omar Abdullah He was released Tuesday after eight months in detention after the administration revoked the strict (PSA) against him.

Today, I realize that we are fighting a life and death war. All of our people who have been detained should be released at this time. We must follow the government's orders to fight the coronavirus, Omar said when informing the media after his release.

The leader, who turned 50 on March 10, has been in detention since August 5, when the Center announced the revocation of the special status of Jammu and Kashmir and its bifurcation in the territories of the union of Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh. .

The PSA revocation order against him was issued by Interior Minister Shaleen Kabra. Abdullah was booked under strict law on February 5, hours before his six-month custody in preventive detention ended.

The government has revoked his detention with immediate effect, according to the order.

Abdullah's mother was the first to arrive at the makeshift detention center after news came that her son was about to be released. He was held at the Hari Nivas State Guest House, just a few hundred meters from his official residence.

Her father, former Prime Minister Farooq Abdullah, was also charged under the PSA and released on March 13 after 221 days in detention. PDP leader and former chief minister Mehbooba Mufti remains in detention.

On February 5, Omar Abdullah, who was junior foreign minister and commerce minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led Cabinet in 2000, was served with a three-page dossier that was challenged in the Supreme Court by his sister Sara Abdullah Pilot.

Last week, the Supreme Court asked the Center and the Jammu and Kashmir government to report this week whether they would release him.

A bank of Judges Arun Mishra and M R Shah told the lawyer who appeared for the Center that Abdullah's sister's plea against his detention would be heard on merit if he was not released soon.

The request, which may now become unsuccessful, could have been heard on Wednesday or later this week.