Girl and father arrested for helping Pulwama attacker

NEW DELHI/ SRINAGAR : Days after the NIA arrested a Jaish worker on the ground that led Pulwama's suicide bomber to the site, a father and daughter duo landed on the agency's network for allegedly facilitating and sheltering terrorist conspirators involved in the February 14, 2019 attack that killed 40 CRPF staff.

Tariq Ahmed Shah, 50, a resident of Hakripora village in Pulwama, and his daughter Insha Jan, 23, are accused of harboring Pakistani terrorist suicide bombers. Umer Farooq and Kamran (both killed in subsequent meetings with the security forces in J&K), the Jaish terrorist and another Pakistani terrorist Mohd Ismail, at his residence.

The NIA said Tariq Shah, a dump truck driver in southern Kashmir, admitted that his Hakripora house was used to protect the site while planning the attack on the CRPF convoy. It was at his home where Dar's video, released by Jaish after Pulwama's attack, was recorded before the attack, the agency said.

‘The arrested man was the main conduit of funds for jihadists operating in and Kashmir

Insha Jan provided the terrorists with food and other logistics during their stay in 2018-19 on more than 15 occasions, each two to four days, the NIA said.

The initial interrogation revealed that Insha was in constant contact with Umar Farooq, Pakistan's FDI manufacturer, and was in communication with him by phone and social media platforms, the agency said.

Tuesday's arrests came immediately after the first breakthrough with the arrest of the worker of Jaish Shakir Bashir Magrey, a Hajibal resident in Pulwama. Magrey, according to the NIA, had taken Adil Dar to a point 500 meters from the site of the attack. He also helped secure the material for the IED used in the attack and is said to have ordered ammonium powder, batteries and gloves from Amazon.

According to sources, the Shah family composed of Tariq and Insha had given refuge to Abu Dujana, a Pakistani murderer. Lashkar-e-Taiba Commander, during 2017-2018. They added that Tariq Shah was involved in the transport of terrorists from the Wagah border and was the main conduit of funds for terrorists operating in the Kashmir valley.

Dujana was killed near Hakripora, 13 km from the city of Pulwama on July 13, 2018, after he defected from Insha and developed a relationship with another woman in a nearby town. It is also believed that Insha informed the police about Dujana's presence in that house with another woman.

Reports say the NIA, accompanied by the police and the CRPF, raided Tariq Shah's residence early Tuesday. Both Tariq and Insha were taken to the nearest police station before being handed over to a NIA team.