Coronavirus effect: the Portuguese International Badminton Championship is canceled

HYDERABAD: The 55th International Championship of Portugal to be held in Caldas da Rainha, Portugal, as of March 5 has been canceled. Portuguese Badminton Federation (PBF) made the decision following the advice of health authorities regarding the continuing concerns about the outbreak of CoVid-19 (Corona virus).

A PBF statement said: A risk assessment conducted by Portuguese health authorities has recommended that the event be canceled/postponed. [We] are required to take this recommendation to cancel the tournament, PBF said.

Confirming the development, World Badminton Federation (BWF) said the event has been postponed.

There are no concrete plans or decisions for the immediate future of the tournament, apart from what will not happen this week. BWF said it will accept the decision since the welfare of the players, their entourage, fans and officials in the tournament is the top priority.

The Portuguese International was an Olympic qualifying event.

As of now, the German Open, scheduled for Tuesday, had been canceled. The Polish Open to be held later this month was also postponed. There are doubts about the future of All England and the Swiss Open that will take place from March 17 to 22.

There are already 20 confirmed cases of Corona in the United Kingdom and one reported death due to the virus.

The Swiss government canceled a motorcycle show last week. The government notified that events in which more than 1000 people are likely to meet will be suspended.

In this context, it is unlikely that All England and Swiss Open will be held according to the calendar. If these tournaments are not held, there are many chances that Saina Nehwal & Kidambi Srikanth I may not arrive at the Tokyo Olympics.

comments