Anthony Joshua will fight Kubrat Pulev on June 20 in London
LONDON: Anthony Joshua confirmed on Monday that it will defend its world heavyweight titles against Kubrat Pulev in London on June 20.
The British boxer posted a picture of himself using his belts on his Twitter account with the words June 20.
Joshua, 30, regained the titles of the WBA, the IBF and the WBO with a unanimous victory for points. Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia in December.
June 20 🗓 https://t.co/4FbiftE8Cl - Anthony Joshua (@anthonyfjoshua) 1583143902000
That victory saw the British avenge the first defeat of his professional career, in New York last June.
Joshua will face the Bulgarian Pulev, 38, at the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium in North London.
Pulev, who is the mandatory challenger for the Joshua IBF title, retired from a scheduled meeting with the Briton in 2017 due to an injury.
The prospects of a long-awaited British super fight between Joshua and Tyson fury suffered a setback when american Deontay Wilder He said he would activate a clause in his contract for a third meeting with Fury, the new WBC champion.
Wilder has officially exercised his right to another fight against Fury and the plan is to organize the fight on July 18 at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, US media reported Sunday.
We received a letter from Wilder's team on Friday night, and we agreed with the networks and the hotel that July 18 was the optimal date, the promoter said. Bob arum He told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.
Fury stopped Wilder in the seventh round of his rematch for the heavyweight title in Las Vegas last week, the American's first defeat in his career, after a draw between the two boxers in 2018.
Fury promoter Frank Warren had urged Wilder to get rid of his recidivism rights in exchange for a payment to pave the way for a lucrative unification fight between the self-styled King Gypsy and Joshua later this year.
Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, said last week that they would do everything we can to provoke a fight with Fury.
Wembley Stadium, with a capacity for 90,000 spectators, could host a possible fight against Joshua-Fury, but could take place abroad for financial reasons, and Saudi Arabia could be a potential place.
You go back to (Muhammad) Ali fighting (George) Foreman in Zaire when you put a lot of money, you go back to the 'Thrilla in Manila', where you put money. That happens in boxing, said Warren the Daily Telegraph.
All I can say in the end is that if we can do it we will do it, for obvious reasons, he added.