Streatham's attacker, Sudesh Amman, has family in Sri Lanka and was under police surveillance

LONDON: A terrorist armed with a knife who was shot dead by police in London on Sunday during a stabbing spree has been named by police as Sudesh Mamoor, a convicted Islamist terrorist who has extended the family in Sri Lanka .

The 20-year-old ISIS and al-Qaeda supporter stabbed two people in south London in broad daylight on a busy street just before 2 p.m. in which the police quickly declared a terrorist incident related to Islamism

Amman was imprisoned in December 2018 at the age of 18 for terrorist offenses related to Islamism in him, but was released from prison a few days ago. He is believed to have lived in a shelter on bail in South London when he carried out the attack.

Wearing a fake explosive vest, he stole a 10-inch £ 3.99 kitchen knife from a convenience store and stabbed two people on Streatham High Road, leaving a man, in his 40s, in a life-threatening condition. Police officers in civilian clothes who had followed him on foot, shot him dead with guns at Boots pharmacy, in scenes reminiscent of an action movie, before hordes of armed police arrived.

The following explosives and other armed officers were called to deal with the device around his body, which turned out to be a suicide vest.

The Deputy Deputy Commissioner said: The suspect has not yet been formally identified, however, given the circumstances of the incident, we are sure it was 20-year-old Sudesh Amman. Armed officers, who were part of a proactive terrorist surveillance operation and followed the suspect on foot, were in immediate assistance and shot a suspicious man on the scene. The suspect had recently been released from prison where he had served a sentence for terrorism offenses related to Islam.

Witnesses also talked about a police car that crashed close in the race to get to the scene.

In December 2018, Amman, an 18-year-old student from North West London College, who lived in Harrow, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of possession and distribution of terrorist documents via Skype and was imprisoned for three years and four months. He had been arrested in May 2018 by the armed police.

The Old Bailey heard that he had tried to radicalize his own family, by sharing Al-Qaeda propaganda in a family group, and sharing bomb-making manuals on Skype, exposing his five younger brothers aged 11 to 15, and extended family in Sri Lanka to jihadist material.

After his arrest, police found bomb-making and knife-fighting manuals on his digital devices, as well as ISIS videos showing graphic violence.

In online messages, he pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, said the Islamic State is here to stay and said he believed that ISIS is the best thing that can happen to Islam.

He also spoke about Muslims in London massacred and put in worse conditions than the concentration camps, and said: The Quran gave permission to rape Yazidi women.

In a raid on his house, where he lived with his mother and siblings, police officers found a black flag, a combat knife and a compressed air gun.

The court heard that he had sent decapitation videos to his girlfriend and advised him to kill his parents Kafir (non-believers) and that he had fantasized about carrying out terrorist attacks with knives and acid.

The then head of the Interim Command of the Police anti-terrorist command Met Alexis Boon said at the time of his conviction: “His fascination with death in the name of terrorism was clear in a notebook that we recovered from his home. Amman had scribbled his life goals in the notebook and at the top of the list, above family activities, was dying as a martyr and was going to Jannah: the future life.

The two victims of Sunday's attack, a man in his 40s and a woman in his 50s, were taken to hospitals in South London. The man, who according to witnesses was stabbed in the stomach, was initially in a life-threatening condition. However, late on Sunday night, D'Orsi said we are grateful that after his treatment at the hospital, this is no longer the case.

A woman in her 50s, who according to witnesses was stabbed in the back, had life-threatening wounds and has now been discharged from the hospital. Another woman in her 20s has minor injuries, which are believed to have been caused by broken glass after the launch of the police firearm. She continues to receive treatment in the hospital.