Ganguly refuses to comment on Dhoni's omission of BCCI contracts
KOLKATA: BCCI President Sourav Ganguly on Friday he declined to comment on MS Dhoni The omission of the annual list of central contracts amid new speculation about the future of the former World Cup winning captain.
While Dhoni has been left out for not playing any cricket for six months, it cannot be ruled out that he can still be in the mix when it comes to the T20 World Cup in Australia.
I can't comment on this, Ganguly said in his straightforward response on Dhoni's omission from the BCCI's annual player retainership for 2019-20.
The iconic former captain has been out of action since the defeat in the semi-final of the World Cup in India against New Zealand in July last year. He began training with his state team Jharkhand starting Thursday with an eye on the return of IPL for Chennai Super Kings.
However, Ganguly talked about the merger of the iconic Kolkata club Mohun Bagan with ATK and hailed it as the way forward.
The game has become professional. This is the right way. Many big clubs like Manchester have done it too. Only time will tell (about success). This is the way to go, said Ganguly.
The merger has cast doubts over the future of Indian derby from next season as Mohun Bagan's arch-rivals East Bengal are yet to finalize their investors and an entry into the Indian Super League from 2020-21.
Fortunately, East Bengal will also reach an agreement soon. Both are big and heritage clubs of Kolkata and should play in ISL. It's only a matter of time, Ganguly said.
The former captain had also tweeted immediately after the merger announcement on Thursday: A momentous partnership for Bengal football. I have no doubt ATK and Mohun Bagan will be torchbearers of moving Indian football forward together. @IndSuperLeague.
A momentus partnership for Bengal football. I have no doubt ATK and Mohun Bagan will be torchbearers of moving Indi… https://t.co/PZw4IQcDYv - Sourav Ganguly (@ SGanguly99) 1579196384000