Harry, Meghan criticized after the summit of the real crisis

LONDON: Prince Harry and his wife Meghan faced further criticism on Tuesday following a real emergency meeting to discuss his surprising announcement to withdraw from royal frontline duties.

British newspapers met during Tuesday's meeting in which Queen agreed to allow the young couple to divide their time between Canada and the United Kingdom until a solution was found.

It means only one thing: Harry and Meghan have won! Royal commentator Philip Dampier wrote in the Daily Express. Metaphorically they held a gun against his head and she gave up.

The editorial of the sensationalist newspaper Sun said: Our queen's surrender to the smug and selfish demands of Harry and Meghan may be the biggest mistake of her reign.

This couple has simply raised the bar for arrogant and obsessive rights. The Daily Mirror said the monarch showed a sadly lacking selflessness in the way Harry and Meghan treated her disrespectfully.

The Daily Telegraph called the decision the reluctant farewell of the queen.

Final decisions about the future of the couple will be resolved in the next few days.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, announced unilaterally last week that they would go back as royals and wanted the financial independence of the monarchy.

The couple, who has a young son, Archie, has hinted in recent months their dissatisfaction with public life and the prime minister. Boris johnson He said he understood his concerns.

I am a big fan ... of the queen and the royal family as a fantastic asset for our country, he told BBC television. I am absolutely sure that they will solve this.

Queen Elizabeth, 93, summoned her eldest son and heir, Prince Charles, and their two sons, princes William and Harry, to their Sandringham estate in eastern England for crisis talks on Monday.

Meghan was in Canada after returning briefly to Britain last week.

In a rare personal statement later, the monarch said the discussions were very constructive, but admitted that the Sussex decision was not what she wanted.

My family and I fully support Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life, he said.

Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, we respect and understand their desire to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valuable part of my family.

The queen said the Sussex made it clear that they did not want to rely on public funds, while a transition period had been agreed in which they would spend time in Canada and Britain.

These are complex issues that my family must resolve, and there is still much work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be made in the next few days, the sovereign said.

Harry, 35, is the sixth in line to the throne behind Charles, William, 37, and his brother's three young children.

Meghan, 38, a mixed-race American who had forged her own career as a television actress, was seen as a breath of fresh air for the royal family when she married Harry at Windsor Castle in May 2018.

But in October of last year, the couple admitted to having fought with the spotlights after their wedding and the birth of Archie in May 2019.

The couple attacked the negative press coverage since their marriage, and Harry claimed that the British tabloids had mounted a ruthless and malicious attempt to vilify his wife.

The debate online and on television has been unleashed since Wednesday on whether the coverage of the tabloids had been racist towards the duchess.

A YouGov survey suggested that while 46 percent of respondents supported the couple's decision, 57 percent thought they had treated the queen unfairly in the way they did.

How the Sussex will be financed is one of the key issues to be resolved. Five percent of the couple's income comes from public funds.

The rest comes from the Duchy of Charles of hereditary private property. It dates back to 1337 and has officially reported assets worth 1,100 million dollars ($ 1,400 million, 1,300 million euros).

British police cover security costs.

In addition to Britain, Queen Elizabeth is the head of state of Canada and 14 other countries.

The Canadian government has not yet decided whether to bear security costs when Harry and Meghan are in Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday.

Canadian taxpayers have traditionally contributed to the security costs of actual visits.

comments