Shenzhen Open: Muguruza defends itself to reach the second round
SHANGHAI: former world number one Garbine Muguruza recovered from a slow start to avoid a nuisance in the Shenzhen Open Monday.
The 26-year-old Spaniard beat young Chinese Wang Xinyu 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 and plays against the American. Shelby Rogers in the second round in southern China.
The Shenzhen Open serves as build-up for the Australian Open at the end of the month.
It was the first match of the two-time Grand Slam Muguruza winner since an early departure at the China Open in late September.
I think it was my first game in a long time and you can't wait to play your best tennis said Muguruza, now 35th in the world.
Title Defender Aryna Sabalenka He made a quick start to his season, beating the Russian qualifier Margarita Gasparyan in just 71 minutes.
The 11th World Cup in Belarus gave way to a 6-3, 6-0 victory while seeking to seal a place in the top 10 for the Australian Open.
The 21-year-old will play Kristyna Pliskova of the Czech Republic next.
It was a difficult and really difficult game to start, said the powerful Sabalenka, who won three titles last year in China, including in Shenzhen.
She is a great player and it was difficult to play against her. It has strong blows. I tried my best and I am happy to have finished with the victory.
Gasparyan, 25, reached the personal record of 41 in the world in February 2016, but has suffered many injuries.