Sarkeguda murders: Basal tribes demand FIR against former Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh, senior police

RAIPUR: Armed with a report from the judicial commission that accused the security forces for the murder of 17 villagers in Sarkeguda in 2012, agitated tribes on Friday organized a satyagrah in front of a police station in the tribal tribe of Bastar, demanding a FIR against the then prime minister Raman Singh , senior police officers and 190 security personnel, including the CRPF, holding them responsible for the massacre of villagers.

Villagers, including close relatives of those killed in the Sarkeguda incident in June 2012, filed a complaint with the Basaguda police to request the registration of a FIR. However, the locals organized a dharna after the police refused to immediately register a FIR. The rights activist and tribal rights activist and leader of the AAP, Soni Sori, are also present in Badaguda, where villagers are organizing a Satyagraha.

Subdivision police officers (SDOP), Usoor, said an FIR could be filed after obtaining instructions from senior officials and the state government.

According to activists, the tribes have been demanding the registration of a FIR against the then prime minister Raman Singh , who is now national vice president of BJP, then chief of state intelligence Mukesh Gupta, then police inspector general bastard TJ Longkumer, then police superintendent of Bijapur Prashant Agrawal, CRPF officials and 190 security personnel who participated in the operation on various charges, including murder, destruction of evidence. The then head of state intelligence, Mukesh Gupta, is now suspended in connection with a couple of cases registered against him after the congressional government came to power in December last year.

The president of the Chhattisgarh Peoples Civil Liberties Union, Grade Prasad Chouhan, told TOI that the state government had established the judicial commission and, when their findings were discovered, strongly accused the security forces of the killings; It becomes the responsibility of the state to present an FIR against all those responsible for the massacre of innocent villagers. It has been observed that in such cases, governments normally file cases against security personnel of lower rungs. This is a clear case in which all those responsible for the incident have to face actions, he added.

The judicial commission on the man, headed by the retired judge of the judge of the Supreme Court of Madhya Pradesh, Judge VK Agrawal, presented his report last month, almost seven years after the incident took place in Sarkeguda in June 2012 A joint team of central paramilitary CRPF and state police had shot down 17 people while performing a hairstyle operation after receiving intelligence information about the presence of Maoists in the area. After the murders, the then state government, the CRPF and the state police claimed that the Maoists were killed in a meeting, while local villagers and human rights groups claimed that it was a false encounter and that six children were among the dead.

Amidst mounting pressure, the then Raman Singh government set up a judicial commission to probe into the circumstances which led to the killings. The judicial panel report revealed that it has not been proved by satisfactory evidence that security forces confrontation was with the members of Naxal outfit and those present there were Maoists and it has not been proved that persons killed and injured were Maoists.

The commission also noted that security forces could have fired in panic at the suspicion of the presence of Maoists, resulting in deaths and injuries.

The findings of the judicial commission, which indicate that those killed were not Maoists, have handed ammunition to human rights and tribal activists in their fight against human rights violations in Bastar, affected by the Maoists, where the police and Paramilitaries have suffered numerous incidents of excesses. forces, including murders and rape incidents. In January 2017, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) discovered that at least 16 tribal women were allegedly raped and physically assaulted by security forces in Bastar in November 2015.

The report of the judicial commission was presented at the state legislative assembly on the last day of the winter session, which ended on December 2.

comments