Unnao rape survivor caught fire; 5 arrested: main developments
* The rape survivor is fighting for life at the SPM Civil Hospital in Lucknow with 90 percent burns after they were allegedly burned by five men, including two of the defendants on bail.
* The woman said in her statement that she was heading from her village in the Unnao district to Rae Bareli, where the trial is held when she was attacked and set on fire Thursday morning. After she was set on fire, she tried to flee and some villagers saw her and came to her aid, police said.
* It is said that the woman's condition is very serious with a team of doctors watching her. She has suffered 90% burns throughout her body. The next 48-72 hours are critical for the survivor, as she has to be saved from a state of shock, a doctor said. The woman will be flown to the Safdarjung hospital in Delhi for additional treatment.
* The five defendants have been arrested on charges of assault on their lives. The defendants are Harishankar Trivedi, Ram Kishore Trivedi, Umesh Bajpai, Shivam and Shubham Trivedi.
* Uttar Pradesh Prime Minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered officials to ensure that the woman receives the best possible treatment. He also asked the police to guarantee strict action against the guilty parties and guarantee his conviction in court.
* The UP government was fiercely attacked of the opposition parties after the incident, with several leaders, including the head of the PS, Akhilesh Yadav, and the Secretary General of Congress, Priyanka Gandhi, who point to the dispensation directed by the yogis on the situation of law and order in the state.
उन्नाव पीड़िता के स्वास्थ्य समाचार से मन आहत है। ईश्वर से प्रार्थना है कि पीड़िता जल्द स्वस्थ हो। कल भाजपा सरकार… https://t.co/79ct01dug5 - Priyanka Gandhi Vadra (@priyankagandhi) 1575536706000
उन्नाव की दुष्कर्म पीड़िता को जिंदा जलाये जाने के दुस्साहस की नैतिक ज़िम्मेदारी लेते हुए प्रदेश की भाजपा सरकार का… https://t.co/kD2hFZdSKi - Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) 1575531623000
* Rajya Sabha was suspended for half an hour amid the uproar of opposition parties, mainly Congress, for the incident. Congress leader Anand Sharma urged RS vice president Harivansh to listen to opposition members who wanted to discuss the incident.
* The National Commission for Women has sought a detailed report from the Uttar Pradesh police after the incident. In a letter to DGP O P Singh, the president of NCW also requested a detailed report on the number of heinous crimes reported against women and the bond granted in such cases in the last three years.
* The survivor had been raped in group by the defendant in December last year, but the FIR was registered in Rae Bareli only in March this year by the intervention of a local court. In her FIR, the woman said one of the defendants had a relationship with her in 2018, but he physically exploited her after attracting her with a marriage proposal. Later, he refused to marry and raped the woman with another friend. said.
(With contributions from agencies and TOI reporter, Yusra Husain)