Madhya Pradesh: 50 women left post-sterilization operations on the floor despite the minister's warning

BHOPAL: Within three days after the warning of strict action against those responsible for asking women to rest on the floor after sterilization operations, a new incident was reported on Thursday, where 50 more women lay down in the floor after undergoing surgeries at the government health center. .

The first three cases were reported by Vidisha and the districts where almost 150 women were operated in government hospitals. In response to media reports on these cases, the health minister said those responsible should face actions.

Two of them were reported by Vidisha. The district fundraiser had suspended the medical officer from the block after receiving the information. Shivpuri district authorities have also secured the action when local media approached them. While health minister Tulsi Suilavat could not be reached for her version, Commissioner Prateek Hajela did not respond. However, one of the senior officials admitted that government hospitals lack basic facilities with inadequate beds and stretchers.

“Most of the district's hospitals are violating the sterilization SOP ordered by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Union. The hospital has been asked to follow the guidelines over and over again, but it was in vain. Higher authorities turn a deaf ear to this issue. Cases of infections are reported insufficiently to save their own jobs, ”said the health official wishing anonymity.

Before discharging women after operations, guard personnel must ensure that they understand the signs of possible problems (warning signs). “You should know that you should return to the hospital immediately or seek emergency care if a problem arises. But there are no such procedures, ”he added.

Postoperative care guidelines issued by GoI

Women (client) should be kept under observation by a nurse/doctor. Make the client feel as comfortable as possible (handle the woman gently when moving). Make sure that a client who is too sedated never goes unattended. Control the client's vital signs: check blood pressure, breathing and pulse every 15 minutes for an hour after surgery or until the patient is stable and awake. Thereafter, check the vital signs every hour up to four hours after surgery. Record vital signs in the client's log each time they are verified. Check the surgical dressing to suppurate or bleed. For cases of interval, check for vaginal bleeding other than menstruation.

Administer medication or treatment for symptoms according to the doctor's orders, Water, tea and fruit juices that will be provided when the client feels comfortable. Customer registration form to complete, to determine when you are ready for discharge.

After at least four hours of the procedure, when the vital signs are stable and the client is fully awake, he has urinated and can speak, drink and walk.

The client has been seen and evaluated by the health care provider. Whenever necessary, the customer must remain overnight at the facility. The client is accompanied by a responsible adult while returning home. Painkillers, antibiotics and other medications may be provided and/or prescribed as necessary. After the sedation has disappeared and before discharge, a trained staff member must repeat the postoperative instructions to the client or the designated companion. A written copy of the postoperative instructions must also be provided.

The Shivpuri district hospital has witnessed more hospital horrors in recent days.

In one of the recent incidents that made headlines, ants crawled into the eyes of a corpse that remained unattended for more than five hours in a government hospital in Shivpuri.

Chief Minister Kamal Nath He had received furious orders for immediate action, which led to the suspension of two doctors, three nurses and two ward boys. CM Nath expressed his strong disgust and tweeted: “Such incidents are a disgrace to humanity and cannot be tolerated. A query has been ordered. Strong actions will be taken against those responsible.

In 2017, the rats had gnawed the finger of a newborn after hospital staff placed the baby on the floor, saying there was no empty bed. She was born around midnight and it was only the next morning that the wounds were detected. When the family went to the hospital authorities, they ignored their complaint.

It was only when senior officials approached that the mother and the injured newborn were taken to the pediatric ward. On August 13 of this year, a patient with tuberculosis was killed in his hospital bed. His throat was cut. It took a couple of weeks to solve the mystery because there was no operational CCTV camera on the premises. Police finally arrested three people and said the murder was the result of a property dispute.