'Hungry' Anthony Joshua says there's no celebration if he defeats Andy Ruiz

DIRIYAH: Anthony Joshua he said on Wednesday he won't celebrate if he regains his world heavyweight title while facing the rival Andy Ruiz at a final press conference before his controversial rematch in Saudi Arabia.

Joshua seeks to recover the IBF, WBA and WBO titles he lost to Ruiz in a surprising June loss in New York in a high-profile duel on Saturday, called Dune Shock.

The British boxer said he was hungry, determined and focused when he appeared next to Ruiz at a press conference in Diriyah, near the Saudi capital, Riyadh.

I'm not here to put on a show, I'm here to win, he said.

When I get those belts back ... I'm going to stay calm, stay focused. It is not a time to celebrate. It is a time to keep that challenger's mindset and advance to the next goal.

But Ruiz insisted he would remain undefeated.

I made my dreams come true (in New York), he said.

In no way will I let these belts go.

The rematch will take place in Diriyah, home of a UNESCO World Heritage site and a dramatic contrast to the iconic Madison Square Garden, which hosted the first fight between the two men that ended in a strike in the seventh round.

Saturday's fight is involved in controversy.

The Saudis have faced intense diplomatic consequences for the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year at the consulate of the conservative kingdom in Istanbul.

Activists accuse Saudi rulers of using sport as a tool to try to soften their international image.

In February, they organized a first European Tour golf event, while the world's most exhausting motor sports race, the Dakar Rally, will take place in the country in 2020.

comments